Friday, June 7, 2013

Making the Move: Part I

I'm finally here! After several hours in the air, my family (my mom, brother, and sister) and I finally landed in Orlando, Florida.  From the Boise airport, we traveled to Denver, where we had about a three hour layover and ate at some airport breakfast restaurant, then we got on a different plane to San Antonio, where we stayed on the same plane, and then departed again, this time towards Orlando. 

The last leg of the flight was really interesting, because we flew over the Gulf of Mexico for the majority of it.  For a while I saw a lot of boats, but eventually we were so far out, it was just the sea and I was convinced I was going to see a whale or a shark (which I didn't).  I was so exhausted during the flight because we had to wake up and be at the first airport by 5AM, but I can't sleep on planes no matter how hard I try so I just had to sit there and look out the window.  At least I got a couple packets of honey roasted peanuts, those things are delicious.   I decided after all the flights were over, that I didn't actually like flying at all, which is good because had I been accepted to a job I applied to before the DCP, I may have been extremely unhappy. But more on that later. :)

I felt the Florida humidity as soon as I got off the plane, but I kind of loved it. I could instantly tell that I would enjoy this weather more than Idaho's dry heat, although my hair does tend to get real frizzy real quick.  My aunt, who lives just outside of Orlando and who we haven't seen for ten years, met us right by the car rental services.  We got in our rental car (which was super fancy and I loved the new-car smell) and she took us to the barbeque restaurant, which was so good, but I think that's just because we hadn't really eaten anything all day.  We said our goodbyes to my aunt, made plans to meet up again in the next few days, and set out to our hotel.

As it turns out, the resort we are staying in is pretty much right next to WDW.  It's not inside Disney property like some of the resort hotels, but it is right near the entry way. There are little lizards EVERYWHERE.  They're super common, and they run all over the sidewalks and into the bushes.  I am so afraid I'm going to accidentally step on one, but they are pretty quick so hopefully they will move if they get in the way of my foot! Also, there are palm trees, which aren't really that exciting, but it is a nice change of pace from the kind of environment I am used to in Idaho. Also, it rains CONSTANTLY.  My aunt said we could expect it about every day around 2-4 in the afternoon. So much rain! 

As of now, the most frustrating part of the journey is that my mom cannot follow directions for the life of her, even though she has a GPS, and it takes us forever to get anywhere because she makes so many wrong turns.  Tomorrow we will go to Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure, home of THE WIZARDING WORLD OF HARRY POTTER!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment